I love NYC, it’s a city like no other and it’s well worth a week or so of your time on any backpacking trip to the US – last week I wrote an article about how to spend a weekend in the big apple, today I’m going to have a look at some awesome day trips you can take during your stay here.
1) The Jersey Shore: Always a popular destination but after the hit TV show (I know you watched it!) it’s more popular than ever. An hour or two (depending on traffic) from NYC, this is a great place to hit the beach or follow in the Situation, Pauly D and Vinny’s footsteps and hit up Karma club, amongst other awesome venues. A great place to relax and enjoy yourself, it may lack a little culture but it makes up for it in sheer personality.
2) Hoboken: 10 mins from NYC, Hoboken is found on the Hudson river. Birthplace to your grandma’s old flame Frank Sinatra and the birthplace of baseball, this place offers welcome respite from the chaos of New York! It’s pretty small and accessible by foot, it offers awesome kayaking and rafting opportunities. Make your way to the city centre and you’ll see plenty of tour offices offering you a trip to really explore the Hudson river in all its glory, up close and personal.
3) Long Island: Accessible by ferry, train or car – Long Island is a relative stone’s throw from the city centre (an hour ‘ish’). Beaches and wineries are the order of the day when you reach Long Island, so if you manage to squeeze both of these activities into your morning and afternoon you’re sure to have a great trip. Also be sure to check out Montauk, Fire Island or the South Shore in Nassau County if you’re wanting to sample the original Long Island iced tea. Delicious.
4) Philadelphia: Less than 2 hours from NYC, which is nothing when you get to climb the steps from the Rocky movies !! With museums, art houses and cool architecture galore one day will flash past in a blur. But for me the unequivocal highlight was following Sly’s footsteps up the famous steps. Head to the Franklin Institute and the Museum of Art to relive one of the best movie montages of all time.
5) Atlantic City: Vegas of the East Coast AND only 2 ½ hours from NYC, although a day trip is eminently doable, better to stay the night and watch Atlantic city really shine! Great shows, cool monuments, aquariums and great beaches – ok, now your day is spent it’s time to really experience AC. Casinos, gambling and parties! Check out the Borgata, the Trump Taj Mahal, Caesers and the Hilton Casino to mix it with the high rollers.Trains run around $30 each way and buses (from Port Authority) cost between $20-$40 return.
Ok guys, so NYC may try to keep you within the city limits but break free and explore the surrounding areas, you won’t regret it. With NYC being a great hub, flights to New York can be cheap as chips, so get over there as soon as possible! Happy travels!