If you’re looking for a holiday with a twist this winter then look no further than Lapland. The first thoughts that came to my mind when I thought about Lapland were that it would be baron, desolate and cold; but you really couldn’t be further from the truth. For winter activity holidays in Finland head north! There is a ton to do all in the midst of some of the world’s most stunning landscapes. Here is my list of the top 5 things to do in Lapland.
- Aurora Borealis (The northern lights): One of the most surreal natural phenomena on earth. No video can ever compare to the experience of seeing this light show for yourself. You can’t help but just stare in awe, everything else can wait. Admittedly there is a bit of luck here, you might see them, you might not. But if you are going to test you luck anywhere then this is the place to go.
- Dog Sledding: Every one of us at some point has seen huskies pulling a sled through the snow in the middle of nowhere and thought how cool it was. You are right to think this. If you are looking for a serious adventure that takes you fully into nature then there is no other way to get there than by dog sled.
- Snowmobiling: Ok, so the dogs sound fun, but they do require a bit of work. If you are like me then you would love the freedom that only a snowmobile offers. There are plenty of companies offering rentals and tours of the area. This is a great activity for children too so make sure you pick up some warm snowmobile clothing for kids before you go. Explore some amazing geology, wiz through snow covered pines and race as fast as you can; great fun!
- Cross-Country Skiing: If you’re looking for a serious work out and you’re not in a rush then I’d highly recommend trying this sport (if only for a day). Even in the middle of winter and surrounded by snow, you still manage to work up a sweat. The biggest advantage to cross-country skiing is that you don’t disturb the local fauna, meaning you can a real sense of nature.
- Sleep in a glass igloo: Imagine lying down in a nice warm bed, looking up and seeing some of the clearest night skies you’ve ever seen with the memorizing northern lights dancing above you. This is an experience of a lifetime. Go to the Saariselka fell area and find the Kakslauttanen Hotel for a night you won’t forget.
Remember, never travel without travel insurance! And never overpay for travel insurance!
Also, if you want to start a blog...I CAN HELP YOU!
Also, if you want to start a blog, and start to change your life, I'd love to help you! Email me on firstname.lastname@example.org. In the meantime, check out my super easy blog post on how to start a travel blog in under 30 minutes, here! And if you just want to get cracking, use BlueHost at a discount, through me.
Also, (if you're like me, and awful with tech-stuff) email me and my team can get a blog up and running for you, designed and everything, for $300 - email email@example.com to get started.
How about $55 free AirBnB credit?
Oh, one last thing! If you've never used AirBnB before, here's a $50 voucher for you! Enjoy!