Cuba has been opening up more and more over the last decade and there’s never been a better time to grow a Che Guevara style beard (you too ladies) and head over, backpack strapped on your back, and wander around this very awesome country. It doesn’t have to be about resort holidays, and with more and more backpacker style accommodation opening up, it’s not half as expensive as it used to be. Check out 5 reasons why you need to get your ass there asap:
1) Nightlife: With all the amazing, cheap rum (see below) and a huge salsa scene, the nightlife across the country is banging. Cover charges are pretty standard (and steep) so be ready to pay $10+ for the privilege, but think of it as an investment for the crazy time you’re about to have. If you’ve ever watched Dirty Dancing, the scene when the girl goes and see everyone grinding together, that’s Cuban nightlife.(not that I’ve ever watched Dirty Dancing of course, a friend told me, ermmm…)
2) The buildings/cars/vibe: If ever a country lived up to it’s expectations for how it’s ‘supposed’ to look, it’s Cuba and Havana in particular. If cool, pastel colours, old people sitting on steps smoking Cuban cigars and mid-twentieth century cars zooming around are your idea of Cuba, then you’re spot on. This place makes you really feel like you’re travelling.
3) Cheap rum and Cuban Cigars: Nothing like perpetuating a stereotype eh?! Whatever, this place rocks for rum and cigars. And any time spent in Havana should include a visit to the cigar factory and rum brewery, an awesome day which will probably knock a few hours off your life expectancy, but it’ll be well worth it, I promise. Make sure to fill your quota when you leave, at $10 a bottle of good rum and $10 a box of cigars, you’ll wanna be bringing some of that good stuff home.
4) Island paradise: Off the beaten track is all well and good but sometimes you just need to chill, and Cuba offers plenty of opportunities to do that. Scuba diving, snorkeling and any other watersport you can think of is available here, but you’re competing with the resort holidaymakers so prices aren’t cheap. Steer clear of the hordes and head to Playa Paraíso and Playa Sirena, two of the least-spoiled beaches you can find here.
5) Che: Cliché? Yep. Tacky? Yep. Still pretty cool? For sure. Che Guevara was a major player in the Cuban revolution and is an icon for everyone against ‘the man’ even today. He’s everywhere you turn in Cuba so soak it up and learn all about him (check out his book here).
5 reasons why you should go backpacking in Cuba, done and dusted. This place is great for travelers, and with prices reducing by the month, you can definitely find cheap holidays in Cuba. There is so much to explore, enjoy. Happy travels!
Remember, never travel without travel insurance! And never overpay for travel insurance!
I use HeyMondo. You get INSTANT quotes. Super cheap, they actually pay out, AND they cover almost everywhere, where most insurance companies don't (even places like Central African Republic etc!). You can sign-up here. PS You even get 5% off if you use MY LINK! You can even sign up if you're already overseas and traveling, pretty cool.
Also, if you want to start a blog...I CAN HELP YOU!
Also, if you want to start a blog, and start to change your life, I'd love to help you! Email me on firstname.lastname@example.org. In the meantime, check out my super easy blog post on how to start a travel blog in under 30 minutes, here! And if you just want to get cracking, use BlueHost at a discount, through me.
Also, (if you're like me, and awful with tech-stuff) email me and my team can get a blog up and running for you, designed and everything, for $300 - email email@example.com to get started.
Do you work remotely? Are you a digital nomad/blogger etc? You need to be insured too.
I use SafetyWing for my digital nomad insurance. It covers me while I live overseas. It's just $10 a week, and it's amazing! No upfront fees, you just pay week by week, and you can sign up just for a week if you want, then switch it off and on whenever. You can read my review here, and you can sign-up here!