Cool gift ideas for far away friends and family
Missing out on special moments with friends and family back home is one of the worst things about a traveling lifestyle. Although being a citizen of the world brings many amazing experiences that are utterly unforgettable and irreplaceable, it is important to remember that there are also great sacrifices made for this kind of lifestyle. It took my 10 years to visit every country in the world, and now even longer on my quest to climb the seven summits, but that doesn’t mean I can’t show my loved ones that I care with some cool gift ideas that you can organise online.
A gift from your travels?
There is always a balance to be found between being these amazing experiences you are getting on the road, compared to the ones you would have been having at home. When a special event happens in a loved ones life, it can be really important to show you have not forgotten about them.
A gift from your travels is a really unique and cool present that would show even though you are traveling, your loved one is still on your mind. This route, however, can be very complicated and unreliable and therefore you must plan very far ahead. Because of customs regulations, it can sometimes take months for the package to reach its intended destination. Look up how to send the package to your family and friends back home, including familiarizing yourself with the package shipping companies in your area, to ensure that you know what the fees will be for mailing the package.
Sending a physical package from your current location may not always be an option, however. Instead, you must use your creativity to find something interesting yet personal that you can give from anywhere in the world.
In this case, the Internet will be your best friend and your worst enemy. Buying online makes it easy and convenient to pick out a product and have it directly sent to where it needs to go without all of the messy customs requirements. The problem with simply buying online, however, is the lack of personalization. Here are some creative ideas to make sure the person your giving the gift to really feels that you picked out their gift from the heart.
Here is a list of 10 cool gift ideas that could be just what you’re looking for:
1) Books or movies that you think they make like. Consult sources such as New York Times Bestellers for some inspiration.
2) AirBnB gift cards! Even better, sign up here and get $55 off your AirBnB stay, and then use the money saved to gift a voucher (genius!)
3) Vouchers for restaurants or services such as a massage.
4) Skype credit so you can keep in touch.
5) Money! Not the most personal… but who doesn’t love a few extra bucks on their special day?
6) Flowers delivered to their house, work or school. This is a great way to make them feel really special.
7) A blog! I started a blog for my girlfriend, and my mum (geriatrictraveller.com) and gifted them it. If you want to do that, let me know and I can do it for you fast and cheap (firstname.lastname@example.org). This is one of the most unique cool gift ideas online for sure.
8) A star, yes, a STAR! You can buy a star online and name it for your friend or loved one that they can have forever.
9) Tickets to an upcoming event for their favourite music artist, sports team, whatever you think!
10) Something really unique or homemade such as from Etsy.
Hope these cool gift ideas help you show your loved ones you haven’t forgotten about them while you’re off traveling the world!
Remember, never travel without travel insurance! And never overpay for travel insurance!
I use HeyMondo. You get INSTANT quotes. Super cheap, they actually pay out, AND they cover almost everywhere, where most insurance companies don't (even places like Central African Republic etc!). You can sign-up here. PS You even get 5% off if you use MY LINK! You can even sign up if you're already overseas and traveling, pretty cool.
Also, if you want to start a blog...I CAN HELP YOU!
Also, if you want to start a blog, and start to change your life, I'd love to help you! Email me on email@example.com. In the meantime, check out my super easy blog post on how to start a travel blog in under 30 minutes, here! And if you just want to get cracking, use BlueHost at a discount, through me.
Also, (if you're like me, and awful with tech-stuff) email me and my team can get a blog up and running for you, designed and everything, for $699 - email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
Do you work remotely? Are you a digital nomad/blogger etc? You need to be insured too.
I use SafetyWing for my digital nomad insurance. It covers me while I live overseas. It's just $10 a week, and it's amazing! No upfront fees, you just pay week by week, and you can sign up just for a week if you want, then switch it off and on whenever. You can read my review here, and you can sign-up here!