Travel Bucket Lists; A List of travel things to do before you die! How Many Have You Done?
What’s on your travel bucket lists? If you don’t have one yet, then I hope my bucket list can help inspire you to create one. Life is short, so let’s make sure we live it. All of it. If we don’t aspire to anything then we won’t achieve anything.
Personally, for me, growing up on welfare, single-mum raising me, in a small town in Ireland the world seemed like such a big place. With far-flung destinations that I could only dream about visiting. Rich people went to those places. Wealthy people climbed mountains or went on expeditions. Every country in the world? No chance. How would you even go about starting?!
But then I changed my thought process, I changed my expectations. If I want to live the biggest life imaginable, then I’d have to go out and get it. So I wrote down my goals. I made a plan and a deadline. And I went after them. I failed, and continue to fail, a lot! But I did manage to visit every country in the world, amongst a few other things, so check out my travel bucket lists and other bucket lists below and I hope it helps you guys get out here too.
I’ve broken my bucket list down into 5 bucket list sub-sections:
- Travel bucket list: 30 Countries, Regions and Cities to visit
- Experiences; 100 things to do before I die
- 20 Life bucket list stuff
- 20 Fitness bucket list stuff
- 20 Business and money bucket list stuff
Table of contents
- Travel Bucket Lists; A List of travel things to do before you die! How Many Have You Done?
- My travel bucket lists – feel free to copy!
- The 1 Bucket List Item I’m Focused On!
- Travel Bucket Lists; Countries, Regions & Cities
- Travel Bucket Lists; Experiences
- Life Bucket Lists
- Fitness Bucket Lists
- Business and money Bucket Lists
- Final thoughts on my travel bucket lists
My travel bucket lists – feel free to copy!
“A dream without a plan is just a dream”
Ok, so let’s talk about specifics. Don’t simply write down “I want to travel” and consider it a bucket list item. You need to spend a while and think about what you want to experience in our wonderful world. And if you’re struggling to think, feel free to borrow some of my ideas, goals, dreams, and travel bucket lists.
As I do the things I dream of I score them out as a reminder that we can all do what we dream of, it just takes a little bit of a push and a step back from the security and normality of our current lives. Life is supposed to be an adventure and one that we can all take part in, now all we have to do is enroll…
The 1 Bucket List Item I’m Focused On!
I’ve broken down my bucket list into different sections below. But before I start, I want to take ownership of my ONE BIG current life goal. So here it is:
- Be the first person in history to visit every country, north pole, south pole and climb the 7 summits.
Travel Bucket Lists; Countries, Regions & Cities
When I first started my new life, I had a few bucket list countries, regions, and cities that I wanted to visit. I still have a few stops to go! If I’ve been, I write a quick intro about my experience below.
- China was one of the first countries I ever visited, I took a cargo boat for a week up the Mekong River to get there. Wild times.
- You haven’t traveled until you’ve had the culture shock of India deep in your bones! I’ve been back 5 times, and it never fails to impress me.
- I’m a huge football fan, so to watch the World Cup here was a dream come true for me.
- I guess growing up, Russia was always in the news. And St Basil’s Cathedral was always so beautiful. I arrived in Moscow on the Trans Siberian, hungover from all the vodka!
- Half of Ireland ends up in Australia! I was no different. I got a working holiday visa and worked in Sydney for a year.
- Kilimanjaro, Zanzibar, Ngorongoro Crater, the Wildebeest Migration in the Serengetti. Tanzania is pretty special. I climbed Kili on my first visit, but I’ve been back 5 times since.
Visit Iceland Visit New York
- I spent each summer at university woring on American Summer camps, we always ended up partying in New York City after our work was finished. Good times.
- One of the most recent visits on my travel bucket lists. Greenland always screamed to me on a map, this huge landmass, finally I visited last year. Beautiful.
- The Eiffel tower, the Louvre. I went as a youngster with my girlfriend from University. The place is filthy and overpriced eeek!
- The opposite of Paris, Rome lived up to all my expectations. AMAZING!
- Marakesh is like the Arabic world you imagine as you grow up! I took my mum there, touristic but lovely.
- Like visiting the future! I love Tokyo, and it inspired me and my mum for our $20k charity fundraiser in 2019.
- One year I was rejected for my Tibet permit, so I ended up traveling all around China on about $20 a day. Great times. Shanghai was top of my life, but once I arrived, I realised it’s more of a city to live in than visit as a tourist. Cool skyline though.
Visit Socotra, Yemen
- Not much to say except Socotra is the most beautfiul island on our planet. Amazing. I’m going back in March/April, come join me! I once spent 4 days on a cement ship to smuggle my way there.
Visit the Sahara Desert Visit the Galapagos Islands
- When I visited Galapagos, from Ecuador, it had always been a big bucket list item. And it is cool, but bloody hell it’s expensive!
- Visit Alaska – I HAVEN’T BEEN YET! Going in May next year to climb Mount Denali.
Visit the Arctic Visit Antarctica
- The 7th continent I visited. It doesn’t come cheap, but penguins, icebergs and Orcas make it worth while.
Visit the North Pole
- Visit the South Pole – I HAVEN’T BEEN YET. It’s a little outside my affordability at the moment. Working on it.
Visit Tibet Visit Bali
- I live in Thailand now, Bali is just a short flight, so I’ve been back and forth a lot. It’s cliche, but it’s beautiful. I’d happily have a holiday home there.
Visit Patagonia Visit the Himalayas
- On my first visit to Nepal, I did the Everest Base Camp Trek. Ideal way to spend 2 weeks.
Visit ALL 7 CONTINENTS
- Half way into my journey to every country, I ticked off my 7th continent in Antarctica!
Visit 50 countries Visit 100 countries Visit EVERY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
MY TRAVEL BUCKET LIST TALLY: 28/30
Travel Bucket Lists; Experiences
100 Things to do before you die.
I love this list! I’ve managed a few, but if I HAVEN’T done it yet – I’ve made it bold. Anything else you guys can think of to add?
Visit all the 7 (new) wonders of the world:
- Travel ‘Around the world in 80 days’ with no flights – NOT YET!
Live in another country Live in another culture/country on another continent Learn another language Ride in a Helicopter(ideally over the Grand Canyon)
- I did it in New Zealand, but not yet over the Grand Canyon unfortunately.
Travel Solo for a month or more Get a tattoo in a foreign country Oktoberfest in Germany
- Carnival in Rio De Janiero – NOT YET!
La Tomatina in Spain Bungee Jump Sky Dive Take the Trans Siberian train across Russia Watch the World Cup Final in person
- I was lucky to get tickets to the World Cup Final in both South Africa and Brazil
- Watch River Plate vrs Boca Juniors – NOT YET!
Watch the Olympics in person
- Watched Usain Bolt break the World Record in Beijing, wow!
Stay in a water bungalow in the Maldives and Bora Bora Fly first class Overland from Cape Town to Cairo Go on safari in the Serengeti or Maasai Mara Climb Kilimanjaro Ride a hot air balloon (ideally in Cappadocia, Turkey) Bungee jump at Victoria Falls, Zambia/Zimbabwe Trek to Angel Falls, the highest waterfall in the world ( in Venezuela)
- Difficult country, and it took me 3 days to reach Angel Falls. Puddle hopper into the Amazon, canoe down a river, hike, sleep in hammocks en route. WILD.
Go wine tasing in Mendoza, Argentina Hold a panda in China See gorillas in the wild Stay in an ice hotel in Scandanavia Experience 24 hours of sunlight in the arctic Go to the top of the highest building in the world (in Dubai, UAE) Visit the Dead Sea, the lowest place on earth
- Reach the summit of Everest, the highest place on earth – NOT YET, MY DREAM! I have plans to climb Mount Everest in 2023 – join me if you want 🙂
Go to the hottest place on earth (Danakil Depression, Ethiopia)
- Go to the coldest place on earth (Omyakon, Russia) – NOT YET, I’LL ORGANISE A ONESTEP4WARD TRIP HERE SOON THOUGH!
See the Statue of Liberty in New York Drink a Singapore Sling in the long bar in Singapore See the snow monkeys in Japan
- Drink Tequila in Tequila, Mexico – NOT YET!
See the Northern Lights (anywhere, but especially in Iceland or Norway)
- Both in Iceland and Norway!
See a live volcano and real lava Take a picture ‘holding up’ the Leaning Tower of Pisa Ride in a gondola in Venice, Italy
- Did it solo, most overpriced nonsense ever
Visit the Amazon Rainforest
- Took my mum with me in Ecuador, tarantulas in the sleep quarters, eeek.
Climb the Eiffel Tower, Paris Reach Easter Islands/Rapa Nui in Chile See the Sistine Chapel, the Vatican City Ride in a Dhow on the Nile River Scuba at the Great Barrier Reef in Australia Roadtrip around New Zealand in campervan Hike to the Tiger’s Nest Temple in Bhutan
- Visit Timbukto, Mali – NOT YET!
See the Komodo Dragons in Indonesia
- Such an amazing destination, highly recommended
Camp by the Gates of Hell, Turkmenistan See an opera in Sydney Opera House
- Lived in Sydney for a year, went to see Opera. Fell asleep.
Watch a show in London’s West End Cage dive with Great White Sharks Smoke weed in Amsterdam Gamble in Las Vegas Drink Guinness in the Storehouse Dublin Visit a tribe in Papua New Guinea Take pics in the salt flats in Bolivia Ride the deathroad in Bolivia Visit Jerusalem See orangutans in the wild in Borneo Sunset in Oia, Santorini Sunrise at Angkor Wat, Cambodia Iguazu Falls from both Brazil and Argentina Side
- Visit the Amalfi Coast, Italy – NOT YET, HOPEFULLY NEXT YEAR ON HONEYMOON
Watch a game at the Maracana Stadium, Brazil
- Managed to watch the World Cup Final here!
Party in Medellin, Colombia-style
- Go on a cruise in the Meditteraneon or Caribbean – NOT YET!
- Drink Champagne in Champagne, France – NOT YET!
- ‘Run‘ the ‘Marathon Du Medoc’ aka the wine-marathon – NOT YET!
- Roadtrip through the Scottish Highlands – NOT YET!
- Experience Holi Fesival in India – NOT YET!
- Sit on Pulpit rock in Norway – NOT YET!
- Wing-walk with my mum – NOT YET!
- Cross the Khyber Pass from Pakistan into China – NOT YET!
- Celebrate New Year’s Eve at Time Square, New York City – NOT YET!
- Go on a ‘Theme Park Holiday’ in Orlando, Florida – NOT YET!
Visit Chernobyl (Bring my (future) kids to) see Santa in Lapland Ride a classic car in Havana, Cuba See a polar bear in the wild Take a ride on a cargo ship Cross the equator on land Visit all the disputed ‘countries’ (South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Western Sahara, Somaliland, Kurdistan, Nagorno-Karabakh, Kosovo, Vatican City and Palestine) Check out St Basil’s Cathedral and The Kremlin in Russia See Hong Kong’s skyline by night Climb Mont Blanc in France See lemurs in Madagascar (and the Avenue of Baobabs) Ride the iron ore train of Mauritania See Transylvania in Romania Sleep in a nomadic ger in Mongolia
- Visit Mada’in Saleh in Saudi Arabia – NOT YET!
City break in Prague, Czech Republic
- See the big island in Hawaii – NOT YET!
- Road trip around Sicily, Italy – NOT YET!
- Visit Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany – NOT YET!
MY EXPERIENCES TRAVEL BUCKET LIST TALLY: 78/100
Life Bucket Lists
Life isn’t only about travel. Far from it. There is something much deeper to be found through the love you give and receive from close friends and family. I was selfish on my goal to visit every country, and I appreciate the people in my life much, much more now having gone through much of that experience solo.
- Legally I’ve done this! But the ceremonial part of cancelled due to COVID!
- Have kids – NOT YET!
Build my dream home, with gym, movie theatre, mancave, office, pool and with a space for my mum too
- Have a holiday home by the beach – NOT YET!
- Publish a book – NOT YET!
- Donate $1,000,000USD – NOT YET! (currently on $250k/$1m)
Build a school Take my mum to 50+ countries
- Take my Mrs to 100+ countries – NOT YET! (She’s currenly on 45 or so)
- Send my kids to private school
Learn to ski
- Get my motorbile license – NOT YET!
- Learn to box – NOT YET!
- Get my personal training qualifications – NOT YET!
- Be on Joe Rogan’s Podcast – NOT YET!
- Speak infront of a large crowd
- Attend a movie premier – NOT YET!
- Travel the world for at least a summer in campercan with my wife and kids – NOT YET!
- Be patient – NOT YET!
- Feel like I’ve maximised my potential, and be proud of the life I’ve built for myself – NOT YET!
LIFE BUCKET LIST TALLY: 7/20
Fitness Bucket Lists
As I’ve got older, I realised that truly health is wealth. I’ve always loved sport, but I also have to admit (regardless of how difficult) my propensity for bad decisions around alcohol.
I do a lot of fitness stuff nowadays, and there’s nothing like setting a big goal with a big physical challenge, and then going out, suffering for it, and achieving it. So let’s keep it going.
Get a handle on my drinking
- I finally cracked it! Using a token-system, I record all my alcohol consumption on a google doc with my friends. It’s been so, so helpful to have that accountabiliy. Messafe me if you want to join us.
Run a marathon Run the Marathon Des Sables, or another ultra-marathon (200km ultra marathon from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai) Run across a country Cycle across a country
- Do an ironman – NOT YET!
Row across an ocean unsupported
- Climb Mount Everest – NOT YET! (but soon, in 2023, I hope)
- And the climb all the seven summits – NOT YET! 4/7 done. 2 more already booked.
- Just once, have under 10% body fat – NOT YET! Got close a while back
Run a sub 20-min 5k, sub 40-min 10k, sub 1.5 hour half-marathon and a sub-3 hour marathon. NOT YET! Sub-20k done, that’s all so far.
- Run the UTMB – NOT YET!
- Go vegan – NOT YET!
- Cycle from San Francisco to New York – NOT YET!
- Summit K2 – NOT YET!
- Swim across the English Channel – NOT YET!
- Climb the highest peak in every country in Europe in a summer – NOT YET!
- Run the original ‘Marathon’ from Marathon to Athens in Greece. – NOT YET!
Reach the North Poleand South Pole – NOT YET! North Pole done, not south pole yet.
MY FITNESS BUCKET LIST TALLY: 9/20
Business and money Bucket Lists
These ones are tough. Tough to achieve, and in the modern world, tough to admit. In an era where people deny wanting to be financially free, I know that it’s fool-hardy to admit my financial goals, due to the risk of backlash.
But I have to be true to myself. And growing up poor has given me the motivation to never need worry about where my next meal is coming from. Or if I can afford to turn on the heating.
I have reevaluated this stuff a lot as I’ve got older. I used to dream of being really rich, now I realise that’s ridiculous, unnecessary and dare-I-say immoral. So $5m is my goal. From there on, I’ll donate almost everything. Equally, the Porsche and the Rolex are childhood reams. The kind of things that seemed so far away. So they have to stay there, as a tribute to where I came from. I could buy them now, but it would be irresponsible, so I wait. They’ll come eventually:
Find a way to make my money online so I can work from ANYWHERE! Be my own boss
- Make my first million
$1k, $2k, $5k, $10k, $30k, $50k, $100k in one month NOT YET! Best ever month was $58k. Hire 1, 2, 5, 10 people at any one time
- Be mortgage free on at least 1 property in my twenties
- Invest $1m – NOT YET!
Have an investment-property portfolio worth $1m+
- Have more than 3 separate incomes streams generating $100k per year
Be a millionaire (have a net worth of $1m+)
- Have a net worth of $5m – NOT YET!
- Fly in a privet jet – NOT YET!
- Own a Rolex – NOT YET!
- Own a Porsche – NOT YET!
- Release and sell a course showing people how to do what I’ve done – NOT YET!
- Start a boutique gym – NOT YET!
- Help at least one other person make $1m+ online
- I’m pretty sure 2 people have done this already!
- Pay off my wife’s mortgage – NOT YET!
- Build and sell a property – NOT YET!
FINANCIAL BUCKET LIST TALLY: 10/20
Final thoughts on my travel bucket lists
I found this more difficult to write than I imagined! Being open and honest first with myself, and then with you guys is difficult. It feels quite vulnerable. And to maintain the honesty throughout is harder still. It would be much easier for me to write a list of beautiful things that people want to hear, and I hope some of the things on here, do just that. But there are other things too that if I want to feel fulfilled I have to be honest and admit that they too are my goals.
So here they are, warts and all. Life is a wild ride, I plan to enjoy the journey, but I also plan on going out and getting each one of these bad boys on my bucket list. I hope it inspires you to do the same. Thanks for reading.
~ You may delay, but time will not ~ Benjamin Franklin