Home to Bob Marley, some of the funkiest, greenest grass and insane beaches – Jamaica’s is a hotspot for package tourism BUT it doesn’t have to be that way. Independent travel is easy in Jamaica, and if you can prise yourself away from all inclusive hotels and free bars, you’re trip to Jamaica will be a lot more real. So forget rum and cokes and continental breakfasts every day, check out these 5 gems in this awesome country:
1) The Luminous Lagoon: Looks like something from avatar, this natural wonder comes alive through your movement and glows flow. Ready for some science? Rare phosphorescent microbes live where the warm fresh waters of the Martha Brae River meet the salt waters of the Caribbean. The constant movement and flowing of the river causes the microbes to move and glow with a neon-green/blue colour, but you knew that right?
2) Nine Mile: It’s a bit of a trek but the birth place of Bob Marley, King of Reggae, is well worth it. The trek is beautiful, and when you arrive you can meet some of Bob’s extended family! You can check out his mausoleum too, he had chosen to be laid there long before his death.
3) Negril Seven Mile Beach: The beach is beautiful but the real draw is ‘Rick’s Café’ at the end of the beach. It serves up cracking food, tasty cocktails and some insane cliff diving!! You can have a bash yourself if you’re feeling up to it, maybe after a few more long islands eh?
4) Dunn’s River Falls: 5km from Ocho Rios on the northern shore you can find one of Jamaica’s most famous water fall, Dunn’s River Falls. The falls stretch almost 300m, and the park has it’s own private beach. Climbing the length of the falls is a real highlight of any trip to Jamaica.
5) Lover’s Leap: Tragically, named after a loved-up couple wanting to be together ‘forever’ in life and death, this is a sight to behold. Over 1000 feet above the water level, there’s a breathtaking waterfall and it looks like you can see across the whole ocean.
Ok, if a holiday to Jamaica hasn’t just registered on your radar, it bloody well should have! This place rocks. Happy travels!
Remember, never travel without travel insurance! And never overpay for travel insurance!
I use HeyMondo. You get INSTANT quotes. Super cheap, they actually pay out, AND they cover almost everywhere, where most insurance companies don't (even places like Central African Republic etc!). You can sign-up here. PS You even get 5% off if you use MY LINK! You can even sign up if you're already overseas and traveling, pretty cool.
Also, if you want to start a blog...I CAN HELP YOU!
Also, if you want to start a blog, and start to change your life, I'd love to help you! Email me on email@example.com. In the meantime, check out my super easy blog post on how to start a travel blog in under 30 minutes, here! And if you just want to get cracking, use BlueHost at a discount, through me.
Also, (if you're like me, and awful with tech-stuff) email me and my team can get a blog up and running for you, designed and everything, for $699 - email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
Do you work remotely? Are you a digital nomad/blogger etc? You need to be insured too.
I use SafetyWing for my digital nomad insurance. It covers me while I live overseas. It's just $10 a week, and it's amazing! No upfront fees, you just pay week by week, and you can sign up just for a week if you want, then switch it off and on whenever. You can read my review here, and you can sign-up here!