How to Get Around Egypt
Welcome to Egypt, a land of captivating history, breathtaking landscapes, and iconic wonders. As you prepare to embark on an adventure through this ancient land, it’s essential to have a comprehensive understanding of how to navigate its transportation system. In this article, we will guide you on how to get around Egypt efficiently and safely, ensuring a seamless and unforgettable journey. From arriving at major Egyptian airports or ports to exploring the bustling cities, we will explore the options of taxis, ride-sharing apps, public transportation, trains, and buses.
For those seeking to discover Egypt’s timeless archaeological sites, we will discuss organized tours and private drivers. Whether you’re marveling at the Pyramids of Giza, cruising down the Nile, or venturing into the vibrant markets of Cairo, understanding the various transportation methods will enhance your overall experience. Get ready to uncover the wonders of Egypt as we unravel the secrets to navigating this extraordinary country.
Table of contents
Arriving in Egypt
Arriving in Egypt offers multiple options to suit different travel preferences. Whether you choose to arrive by air, sea, or even by crossing borders from neighboring countries, Egypt provides various entry points that cater to your needs.
- By Air: Flying into Egypt is the most common and convenient way to arrive. The country boasts several major international airports, with Cairo International Airport being the primary gateway. Cairo International Airport welcomes flights from around the world and offers excellent connectivity. Other international airports such as Sphinx Airport, Hurghada International Airport, and Sharm El Sheikh International Airport are popular entry points, especially for tourists heading to the Red Sea resorts. These airports are well-served by major airlines, providing a wide range of options for travelers.
- By Sea: If you prefer a more scenic approach, arriving in Egypt by sea is an excellent choice. Egypt has multiple ports along its Mediterranean and Red Sea coasts. Alexandria Port, located in the vibrant city of Alexandria, and Port Said, situated at the entrance of the Suez Canal, are two notable ports. These ports welcome cruise ships and offer a memorable arrival experience for those seeking a different perspective on their journey.
- By Land: For adventurous travelers, entering Egypt by crossing land borders can be an exciting option. Egypt shares borders with Sudan, Libya, Israel, and the Gaza Strip. Travelers can explore border crossings such as Taba in the Sinai Peninsula, where you can continue your journey into Egypt by road.
Regardless of how you arrive in Egypt, make sure to familiarize yourself with visa requirements and regulations beforehand. It’s also advisable to check travel advisories and any specific entry requirements or restrictions in place at the time of your visit.
Arriving in Egypt is just the beginning of your incredible adventure. From the moment you set foot in this mesmerizing country, you’ll be immersed in its rich history, vibrant culture, and unparalleled beauty. So, whether you arrive by air, sea, or even venture through the wild borders, get ready to experience the wonders that Egypt has to offer.
Getting Around Major Cities of Egypt
Getting around major cities in Egypt is a vital aspect of exploring the country’s vibrant culture and historical landmarks. With various transportation options available, you can navigate the bustling streets efficiently and conveniently.
- Taxis: Taxis are a popular mode of transportation in Egyptian cities. They are readily available and easily identifiable with their distinctive colors, such as the black and white taxis in Cairo. It’s advisable to ensure the taxi has a working meter or negotiate the fare before starting your journey. While some taxis may lack meters, you can agree on a price with the driver. It’s helpful to carry small changes, as drivers may not always have sufficient change
- Ride-Sharing Apps: Ride-sharing apps like Uber and Careem have gained popularity in major Egyptian cities. These apps offer a convenient and reliable way to get around. Simply download the app, request a ride, and wait for your driver to arrive. Ride-sharing apps provide transparent pricing, eliminate the need for haggling, and offer the convenience of cashless transactions.
- Public Transportation: Cairo and Alexandria have well-established public transportation systems. Buses and metro networks are the primary modes of public transport. Buses operate on various routes, and while they can be crowded, they offer an affordable means of getting around the cities. The Cairo Metro, with its three lines, provides a quick and efficient way to travel within the capital city. To use public transportation, it’s advisable to purchase a rechargeable smart card, commonly known as “Egyptian pounds” which can be used on both buses and the metro.
- Nile Cruise: Nile Cruise transportation in Egypt offers a captivating journey along the iconic Nile River between the two cities of Luxor & Aswan. Passengers embark on luxurious vessels, enjoying breathtaking views of ancient temples, lush landscapes, and rural villages. These cruises provide comfortable accommodations, delectable cuisine, and onboard entertainment, making for an unforgettable exploration of Egypt’s rich history and natural beauty.
When using taxis, ride-sharing apps, Nile Cruise, or public transportation, it’s essential to be aware of your surroundings and take precautions to ensure your safety. Avoid displaying valuable items, keep an eye on your belongings, and use reputable transportation services.
Exploring Beyond the Cities of Egypt
Exploring beyond the cities in Egypt allows you to discover the country’s hidden gems, ancient wonders, and stunning landscapes. To venture into the countryside and reach destinations farther from the major cities, several transportation options are available.
- Trains: Egypt boasts an extensive railway network connecting major cities and towns. The Egyptian National Railways operates comfortable trains that offer a convenient and scenic way to travel. Whether you’re heading to Luxor, Aswan, or other destinations along the Nile, trains provide a comfortable and affordable option. Different classes of train cars are available, including sleeper cars for overnight journeys. It’s advisable to book your train tickets in advance, especially during peak travel seasons, to secure your preferred class and departure time.
- Buses: Egypt has a well-developed intercity bus network, making it an affordable and convenient option for traveling between cities and towns. Numerous bus companies, such as East Delta and Super Jet, operate regular services to various destinations. Buses offer flexibility in terms of departure times and a wide range of routes. While the journey time may be longer compared to trains or domestic flights, buses allow you to witness scenic landscapes and immerse yourself in the local culture along the way.
- Domestic Flights: If you’re looking for a faster mode of transportation or planning to visit destinations that are far from the major cities, domestic flights are a convenient option. EgyptAir and Nile Air are two prominent airlines that operate regular flights to popular tourist destinations such as Luxor, Aswan, Sharm El Sheikh, and Hurghada. Domestic flights save you time and are particularly beneficial when traveling long distances or exploring multiple regions of the country in a limited timeframe. However, it’s advisable to check flight schedules, book tickets in advance, and consider any baggage restrictions or additional fees.
When exploring beyond the cities, it’s essential to plan your itinerary in advance, considering the distances between destinations and the availability of transportation options. Research the schedules, prices, and specific routes for trains, buses, and domestic flights to ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey. Embrace the opportunity to witness the diverse landscapes of Egypt and uncover the hidden treasures that lie beyond the bustling urban centers.
Exploring Ancient Egyptian Sites
Exploring Egypt’s ancient sites is a captivating journey that takes you back in time to the days of pharaohs, temples, and pyramids. To make the most of your visit to these historical wonders, you have two primary options: organized tours and private drivers.
- Organized Tours: Joining an organized tour is a popular and convenient way to explore Egypt’s ancient sites. Numerous tour operators offer a wide range of packages that cater to different interests and durations. These tours typically include transportation, knowledgeable guides, and visits to multiple sites in one trip. They provide valuable insights into Egypt’s rich history, culture, and architecture, allowing you to fully immerse yourself in the experience. Organized tours offer the advantage of hassle-free logistics, prearranged entry tickets, and the opportunity to meet fellow travelers from around the world. Whether you’re exploring the Pyramids of Giza, the temples of Luxor, or the Valley of the Kings, organized tours ensure that you don’t miss out on any iconic landmarks.
- Private Drivers: Hiring a private driver or guide offers a more personalized and flexible experience when exploring ancient sites. With a private driver, you have the freedom to create your own itinerary and explore at your own pace. You can work closely with your driver to visit specific sites, spend more time at places that interest you, and even discover off-the-beaten-path locations. Private drivers often have in-depth knowledge of the sites and can provide personalized insights and anecdotes that enhance your understanding of Egypt’s ancient history. They also offer the convenience of door-to-door transportation, ensuring a comfortable and hassle-free journey.
When choosing between organized tours and private drivers, consider your preferences, budget, and desired level of flexibility. Organized tours are suitable for those who prefer a structured itinerary and the convenience of prearranged logistics. Private drivers, on the other hand, are ideal for travelers seeking a personalized and customizable experience.
If you decide to opt for an organized tour, we highly recommend booking your Egypt tours with Trips in Egypt travel agency. With their extensive experience and expertise in organizing tours in Egypt, Trips in Egypt offers a wide range of well-crafted tour packages that cater to different interests and durations. Their knowledgeable guides provide valuable insights into Egypt’s ancient sites, ensuring an enriching and memorable experience.
Whichever option you choose, exploring Egypt’s ancient sites promises to be an awe-inspiring adventure filled with wonder, intrigue, and a deep appreciation for the incredible achievements of the past.
In conclusion, exploring Egypt’s ancient sites is a captivating experience that takes you back in time. With a wealth of historical wonders to discover, Egypt offers a treasure trove of cultural and archaeological delights for every traveler. Immerse yourself in the fascinating history, architectural marvels, and enchanting ambiance of Egypt’s ancient sites for a truly memorable journey.
MORE EGYPT READING?
The Best Thai restaurant in Cairo; Ruen Thai Restaurant ReviewCairo’s best thai restaurant
Remember, never travel without travel insurance! And never overpay for travel insurance!
I use HeyMondo. You get INSTANT quotes. Super cheap, they actually pay out, AND they cover almost everywhere, where most insurance companies don't (even places like Central African Republic etc!). You can sign-up here. PS You even get 5% off if you use MY LINK! You can even sign up if you're already overseas and traveling, pretty cool.
Also, if you want to start a blog...I CAN HELP YOU!
Also, if you want to start a blog, and start to change your life, I'd love to help you! Email me on email@example.com. In the meantime, check out my super easy blog post on how to start a travel blog in under 30 minutes, here! And if you just want to get cracking, use BlueHost at a discount, through me.
Also, (if you're like me, and awful with tech-stuff) email me and my team can get a blog up and running for you, designed and everything, for $699 - email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
Do you work remotely? Are you a digital nomad/blogger etc? You need to be insured too.
I use SafetyWing for my digital nomad insurance. It covers me while I live overseas. It's just $10 a week, and it's amazing! No upfront fees, you just pay week by week, and you can sign up just for a week if you want, then switch it off and on whenever. You can read my review here, and you can sign-up here!