EDIT MARCH 2020: BOTH THESE TRIPS WERE SOLD OUT AND HAVE BEEN COMPLETED. WHAT AN ADVENTURE! READ ABOUT THOSE TRIPS HERE.
Socotra Tour, Yemen 2020
(& Cairo, Egypt)
TRIP 1: February 17th to 27th, 2020 – SOLD OUT!
TRIP 2: March 2nd to March 12th, 2020 – SOLD OUT!
PRIVATE TRIPS AVAILABLE, EMAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO VISIT
So you want to REALLY travel? To go to places where there are no tourists? To places so beautiful, but yet still so untouched? The world is running out of those places fast. Don’t worry, I have one for you in 2020. Socotra Island, Yemen. Local guest houses, camping under the stars, white sand beaches stretching with not a solitary person on them, and of course the famous ‘upside down’ Dragon Blood trees.
In 2017 I became the only tourist in Yemen, but I had to hitch a ride on an illegal Indian cement cargo ship for 4 days to access it. Now though, with the contacts I made, I’m going back. And I’m inviting you guys to come with me (but this time, we’re flying!).
Yemen was my second last country, number 196/197, and I wasn’t prepared for what I was about to experience. Socotra Island, a Yemeni island off the coast of Oman, Somalia and Yemen mainland, is perhaps the most beautiful place in the world.
Is it Safe to Visit Yemen? Isn’t it dangerous?
I know visiting Yemen may sound crazy, but don’t worry, Socotra is much, much safer than mainland Yemen. The war with Saudi Arabia is heartbreaking, but thankfully it’s never made it to the island of Socotra, and Socotra has no history of extremism or terrorism, so we’re all set for a Socotra Tour. During my attempts to enter Yemen, I became friends with Yahyha, a Yemeni refugee in Oman, who then helped me visit Socotra, he recently asked me to come back. So I obliged, but this time with a group, supporting his business and getting to visit a place like no other. Besides, everyone told us we would never be able to visit Baghdad and Babylon in Iraq as a group, but we did it, and it was epic! And we’re off to Damascus and Homs in Syria in October. So let’s make a Socotra trip that we never forget.
So, Socotra is pretty safe. We want to support local businesses and stimulate tourism in a place drowning in poverty. We want to experience countries that few others are brave enough to. Travel makes us feel alive, and 2 weeks in Thailand just doesn’t cut it sometimes. So Socotra it is. And besides, you’ll get to see this stuff..
Starting to get convinced? I’ve traveled quite a lot, and I can’t think of anywhere more beautiful than Socotra. But the feeling of being one of the few people to have visited the island in the last 5 years or so is a feeling you have to experience for yourself. Sure, the Galapagos is pretty cool, Palawan is gorgeous, Malta, Phuket, Ibiza – all amazing islands. But you have to share them, and understandably so. If somewhere is that amazing, people flock to it. But not Socotra, Socotra is ours, for the time being. So jump on board and take a trip you can tell your grandkids about.
Hang on, Where Is Socotra again?!
It’s here. Off the coast of Somalia, Yemeni mainland and Oman. In the Arabian sea. Pretty cool, right?
How Will We Get to Socotra?
We’re going to fly! Since the authorities dubbed Socotra as safe, a local airline has been allowed to fly in once a week from Cairo, Egypt. The flights aren’t bookable online, but each Wednesday they ply the Cairo-Habido route. So you don’t have to waste 4 days on a boat (although that was an epic trip to be honest!). With the convenience of flying though, comes the price. Currently $1250 for the return trip, with an increase to $1500 on the horizon. Ouch, I know.
Right now, we’re going to plan to fly and incorporate the cost into the price. If we get enough people (40+), I will look into organizing a private boat instead, once that will take 1 day rather than 4. The price would be cheaper, and it’d be a much cooler journey, leaving from Oman. Leave that with me. For now, expect to meet in Cairo, and we’ll all fly in from there.
OK, OK, you got me, gimme more info!
TRIP1: February 17th to 27th, 2020 (SOLD OUT)
TRIP 2: March 2nd to 12th, 2020 (SOLD OUT)
EARLY BIRD BOOKED BEFORE JULY 31ST (Trip 1) or NOVEMBER 31ST (Trip 2): £3110GBP/$3899
STANDARD PRICE: July 31st/December 1st: £3270GBP/$4099
- 15% non-refundable deposit (£480/$600) to secure your spot. Refunds, minus fees and exchange rate costs, will, of course, be issued if the trip is canceled due to security issues, or the flights to Socotra are canceled and a boat can’t be organised as a replacement.
- $100 discount if you’ve been to Iraq, Syria or climb Mount Fuji with me.
- Full balance to be paid 2 months before the trip (December 19th, 2019).
- PAYMENT PLAN: Monthly payments are accepted too – 15% deposit this month, followed by 5 monthly payments (August to December) of £535.50/$ December 2018 to May 2019. Message/Email/Instagram/Facebook me and we’ll work it out.
- Price based per person sharing. Single supplement available upon request
Qalansia Beach, Socotra Island
Arrive in Cairo anytime. We’ll meet in the lobby at 6pm for a trip briefing and then go for a group dinner at a rooftop restaurant to get to know each other.
- Round-trip International Airfare from Cairo, Egypt to Socotra, Yemen ($1300+)
- Cairo City Tour, including the Pyramids
- English speaking local guide in Socotra, Yemen
- Johnny will be our international guide throughout
- 4*4WD and drivers.
- All Cairo accommodation
- 3 nights guesthouse in Socotra, Yemen
- 4 nights camping in Socotra, Yemen
- Camping materials: Tent, mattress, pillows, blanket
- Protected areas entry fees
- 3 meals per day in Yemen
- Cave and mountain local guides
- Yemeni visa cost ($150)
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
- International airfare to Cairo
- Travel insurance
- Any additional food or snacks
- Egyptian double entry visa
- Airport transfers in Cairo (I can assist you here though)
- Snorkeling rental equipment
- Sleeping bags
- Lunches and dinners in Egypt
- Additional entrance inside actual pyramids, and additional entrance to the Mummies room in Cairo Museum
- NOTE: There’s always a risk of cancellation when taking trips to Socotra. Flights and visas can be cancelled last minute, with no advance warning. Partial refunds will be given, minus any costs incurred. A full refund will not be possible if we are already in Egypt by the time of cancellation.
WANT TO COME?
Email me on firstname.lastname@example.org, or send a message on instagram.com/onestep4ward or facebook.com/onestep4ward.
Remember, never travel without travel insurance! And never overpay for travel insurance!
Also, if you want to start a blog...I CAN HELP YOU!
Also, if you want to start a blog, and start to change your life, I'd love to help you! Email me on email@example.com. In the meantime, check out my super easy blog post on how to start a travel blog in under 30 minutes, here! And if you just want to get cracking, use BlueHost at a discount, through me.
Also, (if you're like me, and awful with tech-stuff) email me and my team can get a blog up and running for you, designed and everything, for $300 - email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
How about $55 free AirBnB credit?
Oh, one last thing! If you've never used AirBnB before, here's a $50 voucher for you! Enjoy!