Working Holiday Visa in Australia – FAQs

UPDATE NOVEMBER 2020: Having spent over a year in Australia myself, I really wanted to explain in detail how the working holiday visa in Australia works. It’s a great opportunity for people to explore Australia in-depth and if you’ve got no cash, just get yourself here and start working on arrival, save up a travel fund and then hit the road when you have enough. It’s perfect! So let’s have look at what it’s all about:

Working Holiday Visa in AustraliaUluru
Working Holiday Visa in Australia

What is An Australian Working Holiday Visa?

A working holiday visa (Visa 417) is a visa which allows people between 18 and 30 years old to stay legally in Australia for up to 12 months. It allows you to work, in any field, during your time there.

What sort of jobs can I do with a Working Holiday Visa in Australia?

Any job is fine but you can’t work for one employer for any longer than 6 months. The easiest jobs to find are things to do with harvesting – fruit picking etc. And you can save a lot of money doing that.

How much money can I earn in Australia on a working holiday visa?

A lot. If you pick fruit you can earn around $18 per hour, working 6 days a week that can give you around $1k USD per week! Not bad at all. Alternatively, you can try your luck in a corporate setting in Sydney, Melbourne etc and make a very good office salary (minimum salary being $36k per year). With lots of jobs in sales, if you’re heart is in it, you can make serious money.

Working Holiday Visa in Australia
Working Holiday Visa in Australia

Can I stay longer than 12 months with a working holiday visa?

If you spend 3 of your first 12 months working in ‘seasonal work’ (i.e. working on a farm) then you’re eligible for a second working holiday visa, granting you a second 12 months. Also, if you work for a company and they want to keep you longer than the allowed 6 months, they can ‘sponsor’ you which effectively means as long as you stay employed by them, you can stay in Oz as long as you want. After 4 years, you’ll then be eligible for residency.

Who is eligible for a working holiday visa in Australia?

UK, Ireland, Italy, France, Belgium, Denmark, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Malta, Norway, Sweden, Turkey. Canada, Malaysia, the USA, Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, Chile, Hong Kong. You must be between 18 and 30 years old. For some countries, you may need to prove you have enough money to support yourself. Thai, Malaysian and Chilean applicants need to have a university degree.

Working Holiday Visa in Australia
Working Holiday Visa in Australia

How do I apply for the working holiday visa? And how much does it cost?

The visa costs $280 USD, you can apply directly through Australia’s Department of Immigration. Apply online, and if everything is ok, you’ll have your visa within 3 working days – emailed to your email account. Nothing is stamped in your passport. If you prefer to use an agent, you can do it online here

That’s it guys, an opportunity of a lifetime. Take the plunge and explore Australia. You’ll meet great people from all over the world, save some real money and begin a life of travel. It’s that easy. Happy Travels!

Remember, never travel without travel insurance! And never overpay for travel insurance!

I use HeyMondo. You get INSTANT quotes. Super cheap, they actually pay out, AND they cover almost everywhere, where most insurance companies don't (even places like Central African Republic etc!). You can sign-up here. PS You even get 5% off if you use MY LINK! You can even sign up if you're already overseas and traveling, pretty cool.

Also, if you want to start a blog...I CAN HELP YOU!

Also, if you want to start a blog, and start to change your life, I'd love to help you! Email me on In the meantime, check out my super easy blog post on how to start a travel blog in under 30 minutes, here! And if you just want to get cracking, use BlueHost at a discount, through me.

Also, (if you're like me, and awful with tech-stuff) email me and my team can get a blog up and running for you, designed and everything, for $699 - email to get started.

Do you work remotely? Are you a digital nomad/blogger etc? You need to be insured too.

I use SafetyWing for my digital nomad insurance. It covers me while I live overseas. It's just $10 a week, and it's amazing! No upfront fees, you just pay week by week, and you can sign up just for a week if you want, then switch it off and on whenever. You can read my review here, and you can sign-up here!


So if you’re ready to…..

1) Change your life
2) Travel the world
3) Get paid to travel
4) Create a positive influence on others
5) Be free of offices and ‘real world’ rubbish

Then Sign Up Below and Let’s Get Started!

Follow me on Instagram @onestep4ward