Regular doormats in communal hallways are sometimes categorised as a fire hazard. Some building managers have completely done away with such doormats and now install flame-retardant ones to ensure a safer environment. 

Stringent European Union (EU) standards apply to construction products used in the UK, and in the floor coverings sector there is a standard that relates to fire testing. EN 13501-1 consists of four European ‘reaction to fire’ test methods that can be applied to floor coverings but for textile, resilient and laminate floors EN ISO 11925-2 and EN ISO 9239-1 are the most important test methods for classification purposes. Make sure that you purchase flame-retardant doormats that meet the required standards for your business.

The tests

The tests determine how easily a vertically placed test product will ignite by using what is known as a small burner method. The test product’s surface and/or edges are exposed to a flame in a combustion chamber for 15 seconds.  The classes D fl and E fl are satisfied if the flame does not reach 150mm above the flame impingement point in less than 20 seconds classifying it as normally flammable. If this test fails it is classified as easily flammable which is F fl class.

To obtain a B fl and C fl class, which classifies them as flame-retardant, the test product needs to pass a radiant panel test. These assess the burning behaviour of a horizontally placed test product that is exposed to a radiant heat source and then ignited with a pilot flame.

If the specifications of those tests are met then the floor coverings are in accordance with EN 13501-1. 


Here are the different classes of flammability and their criteria by which floor covering is judged. fl is used to mean flooring in the table.

  1. A1 fl – only achieved by non-flammable floor coverings which do not present any risk in terms of smoke formation.
  2. A2 fl – Only achieved by non-flammable floor coverings with low levels of organic binding agents.
  3. B fl – Radiation intensity of 8 kW/m2 = flame-retardant construction products.
  4. C fl – Comparable with German B1 classification. Radiation intensity of 4.5 kW/m2 = flame-retardant construction products.
  5. D fl – Radiation intensity here only 3 kW/m2 = normally flammable construction products.
  6. E fl – Small burner test = normally flammable construction products.
  7. F fl – No requirements made, no test = easily flammable construction products.

The lower the classification goes the more flammable the material is, and the more unsuitable it is for use in an environment where fire safety is key.  

A1 fl and B1 fl classes are impossible to satisfy with most doormat materials and anything that is classified D fl and F fl is considered a fire risk for use in most places. This leaves B fl s1 and C fl s1 classes as most suitable for commercial uses.

Apart from tests relating to flammability there are others to check how much smoke is produced by the product. If it produces a lot of smoke, it is considered a danger to human health and may pose a fire hazard in a fire emergency. This is why it is important to check the results of smoke tests as well as how flammable the product is when specifying door mats for your premises.

Remember, never travel without travel insurance! And never overpay for travel insurance!

I use HeyMondo. You get INSTANT quotes. Super cheap, they actually pay out, AND they cover almost everywhere, where most insurance companies don't (even places like Central African Republic etc!). You can sign-up here. PS You even get 5% off if you use MY LINK! You can even sign up if you're already overseas and traveling, pretty cool.

Also, if you want to start a blog...I CAN HELP YOU!

Also, if you want to start a blog, and start to change your life, I'd love to help you! Email me on In the meantime, check out my super easy blog post on how to start a travel blog in under 30 minutes, here! And if you just want to get cracking, use BlueHost at a discount, through me.

Also, (if you're like me, and awful with tech-stuff) email me and my team can get a blog up and running for you, designed and everything, for $699 - email to get started.

Do you work remotely? Are you a digital nomad/blogger etc? You need to be insured too.

I use SafetyWing for my digital nomad insurance. It covers me while I live overseas. It's just $10 a week, and it's amazing! No upfront fees, you just pay week by week, and you can sign up just for a week if you want, then switch it off and on whenever. You can read my review here, and you can sign-up here!


So if you’re ready to…..

1) Change your life
2) Travel the world
3) Get paid to travel
4) Create a positive influence on others
5) Be free of offices and ‘real world’ rubbish

Then Sign Up Below and Let’s Get Started!

Follow me on Instagram @onestep4ward