When all you have is just a single day to refresh and reboot, working out a one-day getaway can save your sanity. Everyone needs a little “me time” with grueling work and family schedules that can grind you down. However, there is a way to create a one day micro-vacation that can make you feel like you’ve had a week in Cancun. There’s just a few little tricks that business travelers, and airplane crews have been using for years. CNBC recently covered the phenomenon of day stays – the use of hotel rooms between the hours of 9 AM and 5 PM – instead of a traditional overnight stay.
A Not So New Idea
Day stays have been around for quite a while. They have been used in Europe for years, but with the economic downturn of the early 2000s, hotels and inns began to market them more aggressively. In Japan, the New York Times notes that short stay hotels are part of the culture, with capsule hotels catering to late partying salary men. The phenomenon is catching on now in America, with day stay hotels by Hotels By Day and other services popping up online to help daycationers, business travelers, and even students book a quiet hotel room during the day.
Refresh and Reboot
Working out on your short stay vacation really depends on what you like to do. Whether you’re going with friends, a significant other, or flying solo you can go shopping, take in a show, check out museums and art galleries, or just be pampered with a massage and spa treatments in your room. Of course, sometimes the best vacation is just time by yourself, and a cozy bed.
- The student study break: Cramming for a vital exam or working on your thesis can be almost impossible with family, roommates, or housemates going about their daily lives. When you need eight hours of uninterrupted peace and quiet, and possibly someone to bring you food, a day stay can give you study time, nap time, and the environment that you need to concentrate.
- The give-me-a-break break: Sometimes it really is all about you. You need a break. You need space. You need to just get away from it all, but might not have the resources available to take a full vacation. A day stay at a top-tier hotel can help you refresh with in room massages, on-site spas, swimming pools, or just a place to relax, read, and indulge yourself with room service.
- The big day out: You want sensational shopping, fine dining, and maybe the chance to take in a matinee show. Doing all that sounds great but without a place to sit back and relax, you might end up too exhausted to enjoy any of it. A marathon day is just that – a marathon. Having a place to leave your bags, sit down and put your feet up, or even freshen up with a shower and a nap can help to make the trip an enjoyable and memorable one.
- Mom’s mid-day break: When the kids are in school a busy mom can give herself a super treat, checking in to a hotel for the pampering that a busy caretaker can miss. Give yourself a daycation where you’re not picking up, cleaning up, or doing anything but enjoying a restful day all for yourself.
- The power nap: There are lots of studies that have shown the value of a nap taken in the middle of the day. Booking your lunch hour for a half day stay might just be a great way to not only get a quality lunch from room service, but a quality nap that will leave you refreshed and ready for the rest of your day.
There are so many reasons to book a short stay either singly or with friends. Booking online is a discreet way to access rooms in hotels all over the United States, and worldwide. You no longer have to be a business traveler or an airline employee to take advantage of these opportunities to make your recreational dollars go further.