Moving Overseas Checklist
Moving overseas is a long process, and before you go you need to make sure you have all of your bases covered, and you haven’t forgotten any important details. With so many things to think about, we’ve come up with a comprehensive checklist of all the things you need to do before you move, to make your life easier.
- Book and confirm your flight tickets and travel times
- Make an inventory of all of your belongings, making sure to state which are being packed and brought with you, and which are being put into storage
- Source removalists to transport your belongings
- Organise a moving date and ensure everything is ready by then
- Check if the electrical and power connections you currently have are compatible in your new destination as connections, voltage, and amperage can vary in different countries
- Organise to have your vehicle transported or sold
- Arrange to have a new drivers license in the new country
- Let the following people and organisations that you are moving
- Utility provider
- Local council
- Taxation office
- Private health insurance
- Lease companies
- Motor vehicle register
- Superannuation fund
- Insurance companies
Visa and immigration
- Ensure that you have current passports and that they are not about to expire
- Complete all the necessary visa and work permit application forms and make sure you lodge them before you travel
- Find out about any quarantine requirement for pets you may have and make sure you comply with them, such as arranging to have your pet vaccinated prior to arriving at your destination
- Work out if you are selling your current home or want to rent it out
- If you are currently renting your home, make sure you give the correct notice to vacate the property
- Cancel all necessary utilities
- Redirect your mail through the postal system to your new address
- Look for new homes to purchase or rent in your new destination, or organize temporary housing for your arrival
- Inform your bank that you are moving overseas
- Find out if there are existing branches in your new location
- Check if your bank and credit cards can be used overseas
- Decide if you need to open a new bank account with an overseas organization
- Create a short list of schools and universities in the area you will be moving to
- Get any educational information or certificates transferred from you children’s current school to their new school overseas
- Make sure your children complete any necessary assessment required by their new educational institution
- Organise meetings and tours at the new school
- Make sure you have updated copies of all of your medical records
- Keep copies of all important documents on hand, including:
- Insurance policies
- Birth certificates
- Drivers licence
- Marriage certificates
Although there are many things to think about when moving, as long as you stay organised and keep on top of everything, you can easily move overseas to your new location without too much stress or hassle.
Remember, never travel without travel insurance! And never overpay for travel insurance!
Also, if you want to start a blog...I CAN HELP YOU!
Also, if you want to start a blog, and start to change your life, I'd love to help you! Email me on email@example.com. In the meantime, check out my super easy blog post on how to start a travel blog in under 30 minutes, here! And if you just want to get cracking, use BlueHost at a discount, through me.
Also, (if you're like me, and awful with tech-stuff) email me and my team can get a blog up and running for you, designed and everything, for $300 - email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
How about $55 free AirBnB credit?
Oh, one last thing! If you've never used AirBnB before, here's a $50 voucher for you! Enjoy!